*Give me twenty-five dollars
And drive me around downtown
Solve all my problems
Don’t let me lose what I’ve found
Give me good lovin’
And seal it with a kiss
Then drop me off where the music’s loud
But it won’t get no better than this
Sometimes, the writing just flows. Other times, especially when you’re very close to something, it’s a little harder to express the nuances of what makes something great. Think about how long it took Neruda or Shakespeare to write one love poem. Plus, it’s a beautiful day, so I’ll forego the usual “publisher’s letter” and instead just offer what I think are the Top Ten Reasons You’ll Love This Issue:
- Our fashion spread is set in the beautiful wilds of Kenya. Yes, Africa.
- Dick Scholem’s Food Reviews serve up two great places to dine, whether you live in Montauk or Manhasset.
- The illustration for I Think Therefore I Earn is brilliant. The article’s not so bad either.
- I like Scotch. And the $300 Speymalt we feature in Drinkology is sublime. (I like spies too, but that’s spelled differently, and a separate conversation—see the next page).
- Nothing says “fall” like leather. Objects of Desire profiles the finest accessories for gentlemen this season. $18,000 briefcase?
- At some point you will need a lawyer (again). Our second annual Long Island’s Top Legal Eagles compiles a reference for you to find your next great attorney.
- Football season is here and our interview with Jets coach Rex Ryan makes for good water-cooler talk. Hey, I work with a lot of men.
- The photography in our Polo Rising, by our award-winning Gary Lupton, accompanies the story written by this lowly publisher.
- Andrew Cuomo. The formidable governor-in-waiting is the subject of our exclusive interview.
- Summer vacations are over but summer isn’t. Our Weekend Getaways are exactly what you’re looking for. Hit the road!
*Take me to a party
*No Better Than This, John Mellencamp