What’s a BBQ without some creamy Cole Slaw and really good potato salad? They sure are the perfect pairings for those yummy main dishes that we all love. However, sometimes it is nice to throw something else into the mix to spark a little “Oohing” and Ahhing” from the guests. This Warm Wild Rice Salad with Fresh Herbs is just the dish to get you there with its warm colors and fresh herbs. No need for any heavy dressings or mayonnaise here, just delicious seasonal ingredients will do the trick.
• 1 cup wild rice cooked according to directions (Using a broth instead of water intensifies the flavor)
• 2 large carrots peeled and diced
• 1 large bell pepper diced
• ½ red onion chopped
• ½ cup frozen peas thawed
• 4 garlic cloves finely minced
• 2 tablespoon fresh parsley & mint chopped (you can use your favorite herbs!)
• 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil + more for drizzling
• ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
• ½ teaspoon onion powder
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder
• Ground pepper to taste
• Chopped chives or green onion for garnish
*Note- The 1 cup of rice is a pre-cooked measurement.
1.) Cook rice according to directions on box in a medium sized sauce pan.
2.) While rice is cooking, heat olive oil over high heat in a large skillet and add all the veggies except for the peas and chives.
3.) Season veggies with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Cook until tender.
4.) Once rice is complete, add all of the veggies and herbs, including the peas to the rice pot and stir everything together to combine. (The steam from the rice will cook the peas just perfectly)
5.) Transfer the salad to individual serving bowls and garnish with a tiny drizzle of olive oil, chopped chives and additional salt & pepper to taste. The salad should be lukewarm to serve.