As a mother, it is only right that I get to pick what we are having that day for dinner!! Without question there is no single food type I prefer more than my Asian cuisine. I plow through my 5 favorite condiments faster than my ketchup bottle!! Whether you decide to entertain with these “Chinese Chicken Light Lettuce Cups” or serve them for supper, just know that this will not be the first or last time you make them!
• 1 lbs. diced white meat chicken breast trimmed of any fat
• ½ tablespoon Chinese 5 spice powder (found in most supermarkets in the spice isle)
• 1 tablespoon Japanese Mirin (sweet sake)
• 1 rice wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
• 2 tablespoon dark sesame oil
• 1 teaspoon corn starch dissolved into 2 tablespoons of hot water
• 1 cup celery diced
• 1 cup peeled carrot shredded or diced
• 2 cloves garlic minced
• 1 scallion sliced thinly
• 4 large Iceberg or Bibb lettuce leaves
• 4 teaspoon Chinese Barbeque sauce
1.) Sprinkle Chinese spice blend all over chicken and then gently massage it in to thoroughly incorporate.
2.) In a small bowl combine rice wine vinegar, mirin, hoisin, soy sauce & scallion. Add in chicken and let marinate for at least 2 hours.
3.) Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat and add in carrots and celery. Cook for 2-3 minutes and toss in the garlic. Cook all until crisp-tender.
4.) If necessary add in a bit more sesame oil and pour the chicken mixture into the pan.
5.) Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
6.) Spoon in cornstarch and bring heat down to a simmer. Let sauce thicken and everything cook through.
7.) Once finished, lay out lettuce leaves on a platter and spoon ¼ the chicken & vegetables inside mixture into each piece.
8.) Spread with a teaspoon of Chinese BBQ sauce and serve.