I don’t know about you, but to me, lemons are a true reminder of summer! When I first moved to Long Island, we were given a lemon tree as a present, and although it only produces every other year it is one of my absolute favorite attributes about my house. On that note, I incorporate this tangy fruit as much as possible in recipes, both food and drink. My “Whole Wheat Panko Lemon Baked Chicken” is a dish that showcases the beauty of the current season with its light tasty and refreshing flavors.
• 1 lb. skinless boneless chicken cutlets trimmed and cut into 4 pieces (I like a very thin cut, but use thicker if you prefer.)
• 1/2 lemon juiced (plus 1 sliced thinly for garnish)
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest (grated rind of lemon)
• 1 egg beaten
• 1 cup whole wheat panko crumbs
• 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (or ground veggie cheese)
• 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon of salt
• 2 tablespoon butter or margerine
• ground pepper to taste
1.) Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
2.) Squeeze juice from lemon into egg and whisk together.
3.) In a small bowl combine Panko, lemon zest, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper.
4.) Dip the chicken into the egg. Coat chicken in bread crumb mixture. Lay flat in a sprayed baking pan.
5.) Pat butter or margarine on top of chicken in little chunks.
6.) Bake covered with foil for 20-25 minutes OR until chicken is cooked through. (The thicker the chicken, the more cooking time…try not to overcook or it will dry out.)
Garnish with lemon slices and Serve.