It can be hard to get excited about skincare and makeup when the temperatures and humidity skyrocket. These summer beauty all-stars will keep you looking polished and smelling great, ensuring no one will ever see you sweat.
- It may sound like a broken record, but sun protection is a year-round must. Opt for one that’s broad spectrum and will protect against both the sun’s burning UVB rays and its aging (and skin cancer-causing) UVA rays like FAB’s Ultra Repair Pure Mineral Sunscreen Moisturizer SPF 40 ($30).
- Like FAB’s new launch, Philosophy’s renewed hope in a jar SPF 30 ($45), set to hit shelves in July, is so lightweight and non-chalky that it feels more like a moisturizer than traditional sunscreen. It also minimizes the look of pores as it smoothens skin’s texture.
- Throughout the day, L’Occitane’s Pivoine Sublime Perfecting Mist ($24) can help refresh your steamy face while boosting hydration. It works double duty to set makeup.
- Anyone who has been to Super Saturday knows QVC is a goldmine for beauty exclusives. Josie Maran’s Argan Oil Infused Hawaiian Body Oils ($35) is a season favorite. Now, you just need to enlist someone to give you a beachside massage with the lightly tropically scented oils.
- For DIY self-care, opt for Laura Mercier Tarte au Citron Crème Body Wash ($40) or go the economical route with Dove go fresh Revitalize Body Wash, Mandarin & Tiare Flower ($9). Both are specifically formulated to cleanse without stripping the skin of moisture – meaning you can skip post shower body lotion.
- Crunched for time? Mama Mio’s Clean Slate Workout Swipes ($37) were designed to allow you to forego the shower all together. So, when you’re jetting to the beach from Tracy Anderson’s shower-free Hampton studio, just grab one of these jumbo cleansing wipes (yes, they’re even strong enough for your underarms!).
- Shopping Tom Ford’s beauty collections is always an exercise in restraint. The designer has re-introduced his white-and-gold lipstick packaging in his Soleil Summer 2015 collection. Two Lip Color Sheers, two bronzer shades (available in travel-friendly compacts), a cream blush (a brand first), four cream and powder shadow duos and a lip and cheek compact are also in the mix. Good luck picking just one item.
- Estee Lauder’s Courreges Makeup collection is also generating buzz. Revived in no small part thanks to a social media boost from promos starring Kendall Jenner, the sleek 12-piece collection is sixties-inspired both in design and colors. Standouts include solid compacts with squeezable centers and a gloss dispenser with a lipstick-shaped applicator.
- Rounding out makeup must-haves is Guerlain’s My Terracotta Bronzing Powder ($55), which now has two new shades. A perennial makeup artist go-to, the brand bestseller is lightweight and easy to apply, making it just what you need for a back-from-the-beach bronzed glow.
- Even those of us who don’t struggle with hair woes in the winter need to show our tresses extra TLC come summer. Aside from salt and chlorine, the heat and humidity can make keeping a smooth mane a serious struggle. Get things started in the shower by preventing a flat, weighed-down look via Serge Normant’s Dream Big Instant Volumizing Shampoo ($25) and Conditioner ($25). Then, style using Living Proof’s new Blowout ($24). Not only does Blowout protect hair from heat styling tools, it works to cut down on styling time and locks in your blowout using a patent technology.
- Once out and about, Alterna Haircare Bamboo Beach collection includes a brand-new multitasking styling cream ($22) designed to control frizz and protect hair from the sun while giving it a subtle sun-kissed shimmer.
- Post sun, apply Phyto Plages Sublime After Sun Oil ($40), which relies on five oils to hydrate and nourish hair after sun and water exposure. It also helps to tame frizz build-up.
- While technically a men’s fragrance, Lacoste’s L.12.12 Jaune ($56), is light and bright enough to work for both sexes. The best part? It was specifically designed to incorporate ingredients that have been shown to have health benefits. When it comes to getting that elusive summer body, every little bit helps!
- As for florals, Cartier has introduced La Panthère Eau de Parfum Legere ($68-$128), a lighter take on their now-classic La Panthère Parfum, and Bond No. 9 Park Avenue South ($200-$295) brings a woodsy dimension to an energizing new floral scent.