Black Friday is not for the weak. It takes determination to set that alarm and actually wake up in the middle of the night to shop. Then there’s the crazy lines trying the patience of even those who routinely battle the LIE. And let’s not forget that there is leftover pumpkin pie waiting at home. It’s enough to make the most diehard of shoppers stay home and binge watch Christmas movies while eating enough to put them into the second sleep coma in as many days. Never fear. Whether you’re partaking in Black Friday or avoiding it at all costs, Long Island Pulse is coming to the rescue. Here’s the Pulse guide to surviving Black Friday.
Embrace the Crazy
1. You’re getting a good deal at the cost of your sanity, it’s OK.
2. Bring a friend who will spend way too much money so you don’t feel bad about your Starbucks card having more money than your checking account.
3. Remember said Starbucks card. You will need a triple shot latte to stay awake!
4. Get in and out as fast as possible. Make a list of all of the stores you want to hit and things you plan on buying ahead of time.
5. There’s this great thing called the Internet that has no lines and no parking lots. There’s frequently free shipping, too.
Avoid the Crazy
1. Binge watch as many holiday movies as possible.
2. Overeat, drink good wine and watch Love Actually.
3. Make leftover turkey sandwiches with all the fixings.
4. Recover from Thanksgiving’s food coma with leftovers and dress the house for Christmas.
6. Do a Turkey Trot and run off the previous days dinner.
7. Shop small business Saturday instead! Spend a little bit more to keep the local shops on Long Island in business.
8. Wake up late, coffee, turkey sandwich with gravy, Perry Como’s Christmas album on the radio, hang decorations, nap and repeat at 5pm.