On Saturday July 30th, lace up your sneakers and join the Hope for Depression Research Foundation as they set out on the three-mile Walk of Hope to Defeat Depression, an event to raise awareness and funds for advanced depression research.
HDRF’s Founder and Southampton resident Audrey Gruss will lead participants as they walk a beautiful route around Lake Agawam in Southampton Village.
Rain or shine, join us for an inspiring morning with the Hope for Depression Research Foundation.
After the walk, make your way to Main Street for the first ever Shop for Hope event in Southampton to round out the day. Participating stores up and down Main Street and Jobs Lane will open their doors to shoppers and donate a percentage of sales to HDRF’s advanced research. Shop for Hope will go from 11:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.
The Hope for Depression Research Foundation is the leading nonprofit organization focused solely on depression research. The World Health Organization has declared depression as the leading cause of disability worldwide. Despite its prevalence, depression is still misunderstood, underfunded and under-researched. To date, HDRF has provided more than $20 million through over 125 grants for accelerated breakthrough depression research that promises to lead to new and better medications and treatments.
Our mission is two-fold:
• To accelerate advanced brain research into the origins, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of depression.
• To raise awareness of depression as a medical illness, educate the public and erase the stigma of depression.
Audrey Gruss founded HDRF in April 2006 in memory of her mother Hope, who struggled with clinical depression. Every dollar raised goes directly to research.
• Date: Saturday July 30th
• Meeting Point: Southampton Cultural Center, 25 Pond Lane
• Time: Check-in begins at 8 a.m. and the Walk begins at 9 a.m.
• Cost: Registration is $50 and each walker will receive a special Walk of Hope baseball cap at the event.