Château Maris takes an approach to winemaking based on the fundamental premise that wine is grown, not made. The vineyard strictly adheres to biodynamics, a system of organic farming that adopts a holistic approach to produce truly exceptional wine. Executive Chef Ryan Keough has developed a five-course tasting menu to complement these exceptional wines, which includes:
• CHICKEN LIVER PATE BRUSCHETTE – Smoked bacon jam, braised mustard seeds.
o WINE PAIRING: 2013 Chateau Maris Brama Grenache Gris – fresh tropical fruits, honeysuckle, lemon rind and buttered almonds on the nose.
• SEARED ICELANDIC CHAR – Green peas, chervil, prosecco mustard.
o WINE PAIRING: 2013 Le Carignan de Maris, Coteaux de Peyriac – red plum, dried blackberry and dark chocolate flavors, lingering with mocha details.
• SMOKED PORK BELLY – Soft poached egg, grilled shiitake mushroom, brown butter, spinach.
o WINE PAIRING: 2012 La Touge Syrah – spicy dark fruit, ground pepper, wild herbs and hints of olive to go with a medium-bodied, rich palate feel.
• GRILLED BLACK COD – Beurre rouge, mushroom ragu.
o WINE PAIRING: 2012 Cur la Liviniere “Les Anciens” – peppery herbs, fresh plum and berry fruits.
• DARK CHOCOLATE CAKE – Spring berry, whipped ricotta.
o WINE PAIRING: 2010 Oeuf Neuf Maris – 100% untouched grenache with notes of dark fruit including blueberry and plum.
Tickets for the Château Maris Wine Dinner, which has limited seating, can be purchased in advance for a cost of $59/person.